The Nord Center is currently seeking new members to add to our Board of Directors
Are you passionate about mental health? Would you like to help make a difference in the lives of those in Lorain County with mental health issues? Become a member of our Board!
- A strong commitment to the organization’s mission of providing comprehensive and effective mental health services to residents of Lorain County
- Effective interpersonal relationship skills including leadership and communication skills
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of those we serve
- Ability to attend monthly board meetings as well as periodic or related committee meetings
Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
- Establishing policy and direction for the organization
- Acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Guiding and advancing the mission of the organization
- Selecting and guiding the Executive Director
- Working with the Executive Director to create a strategic plan to guide the organization
- Providing financial oversight for the agency, including setting and approving the annual budget
- Board Members are asked to serve a 3-year term, and are eligible for re-appointment for up to two additional terms
The Board typically meets from 4-5:30 pm on the 4th Wednesday of each month at The Nord Center’s main facility on S. Broadway in Lorain.
To be considered for this opportunity, please forward a cover letter and resume to Debra Cihla, Board Nominating Committee, at TCommunications@nordcenter.org. Please highlight the particular skills and experience you will bring to the Board in your cover letter.
Thank you for your interest!
Volunteer for Sexual Assault Services
Volunteers enable the Sexual Assault Services (SAS) program to provide essential services to survivors of sexual assault and to those who support them, on a 24-hour basis, at absolutely no cost. No prior training or experience is necessary – just a desire to help those in crisis.
SAS Volunteer Opportunities:
Outreach Advocate: Must have transportation to our Sexual Assault Care Unit to support the survivor, in person, through the nurse’s interview and exam.
Hotline Advocate: When a phone call from a survivor is received after hours, by our 24-hour Nord Center Emergency Crisis Line, the advocate returns the call to the survivor and helps them through their crisis and supports them over the phone.
Community Outreach: Participate in health and wellness fairs throughout the year, and may also present Rape Crisis services presentations to businesses, schools and universities.
Staff Support: Help the Rape Crisis staff with administrative duties, special events, fundraisers, surveys and assistance with the preparation and organization of survivor materials.
SAS Volunteer Requirements:
General requirements to become a volunteer are:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Attend a pre-volunteer screening interview
- Complete a criminal background check, drug test and fingerprinting
- Successfully complete our 40-hour training program
- A commitment to one or more shifts a month
- Hotline Volunteers need access to a phone during their shift
- Outreach Volunteers are required to have transportation during their shift
- Mandatory attendance at quarterly reviews and training meeting
- Maturity, dependability, sensitivity and a desire to help others
- Adherence to The Nord Center policies and procedures
Prospective SAS volunteers must attend an extensive training program to prepare them for the demands of this position. The 40-hour training is offered twice a year, in fall and early spring. It is only through the dedication and strong commitment of our volunteers that we are able to serve so many people.
If you are interested in becoming an SAS volunteer, please contact Becky Opel at (440) 204-4188 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.